1. 16 year old male dressed in ' O Ni Kei' style
2. Close up of same 16 year old male
3. 18 year old female dressed in 'Shibuya Kei GAL' style (tanned skin)
4. Right, 17 year old female called Aiyaka, left 17 year old girl called Mai dressed in 'Shibuya Kei GAL' style (tanned skin)
5. Kazumi Asada and friend who are both 17 years and visit tanning salon three times a week dressed in 'Shibuya Kei GAL' style (tanned skin)
walking into salon
6. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Koide Kohei, Tanning Salon Owner.
"About twenty years ago there was a big tanning boom and I think the boom is back again now."
7. Close up of Kazumi's false nails (note nail art is an essential element of the GAL look)
8. Kazumi and friend in salon waiting room.
9. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Asada Kazumi, 'Shibuya Kei GAL'
"Young people all want dark skin"
10. Kazumi enters tanning capsule.
11. Kazumi closes the tanning capsule.
12. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Asada Kazumi, 'Shibuya Kei GAL'
"(In my class) about 70-80% of the kids go to tanning salons to darken their skin."
13.Two teenage girls reading fashion magazines in salon waiting room
14. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Asada Kazumi, 'Shibuya Kei GAL'
"For boys (fashion styles) break down into: GAL O; O Ni Kei; Surfer; Casual; Delica and BK ."
15. Various of teenager boys dressed in ' GAL O' style (male equivalent of 'GAL' style, complete with dark tan)
16. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Arakawa Hiroki, 'O Ni Kei' male
"With GAL O they have the hair that stands up, they back comb, and wear black a lot. I am often mistaken for GAL O but really that's not how I see myself." (He sees himself as O Ni Kei.)
17. Young man dressed in 'O Ni Kei' style with a touch of surfer (dark tan)
18. Two young men dressed in 'O Ni Kei' style
19. Frame left 'O Ni Kei' male with his 'Shibuya Kei GAL' girlfriend
20. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Arakawa Hiroki, 'O Ni Kei' male
"(O Ni Kei) shoes are stylish shoes, we wear tight jeans and close fitting T shirts, a few accessories and carry bags."
21. Wide of male shop assistant dressed in 'casual' style (does not go to a tanning salon)
22. Young people dressed in 'BK' style (they are wearing blue, the colour of the L.A. gang the Crips and they are doing the C walk, the Crips dance.)
23. 'BK' style hats
24. Young woman tanning
25. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Asada Kazumi, 'Shibuya Kei GAL'
"For girls (fashion styles) break down into GAL, Surfer, O Neh, Casual, and there are BK girls as well."
26. Two 17 year olds who describe their look as 'Shibuya Kei GAL' (typically they are wearing, heels, high socks, short shorts and tops that reveal their tan. Both girls go to tanning salons regularly.)
27. Wide of 'Shibuya Kei GAL' style (tanned skin)
28. Various of girl dressed in 'BK' style
29. Wide of girl dressed in 'BK' style
30. SOUNDBITE (Japanese) Kubota Takako, Cosmetic Dermatologist
"One of the features of tanning salons is that they allow users to tan without experiencing any of the symptoms related to sun burn. However, since they use ultraviolet light, users increase the risk of contracting skin cancer and may experience premature aging of the skin."
31. Two girls dressed in 'GAL' style (tanned)
32. 'O Ni Kei' male and his 'Shibuya Kei GAL' girlfriend
Japan is known for its very distinctive 'looks' from painted geishas to manga fans.
Many Japanese women still pride themselves on pale complexions and often carry parasols to protect their skin from the sun.
But now more and more young people are embracing the tanned look as it is an essential part of several fashion styles or 'looks'.
Tans, teens and fashion.
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/ca664d192781e5f53783c398121d130e
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork