There are lot of Monuments and mausoleums in Agra, normally we think of Agra and what strikes first is Taj Mahal. I spent 6 days in Agra, visited couple of places, this can video can serve as guide for travellers.
You may want to support this channel: https://www.patreon.com/visa2explore
I also covered some of the food joints in Agra, which has been shown in a separate video.
Within the 6 day time frame, i tried covering as much as possible, but i am sure there is much more to Agra than what has been shown in this video.
Given below is a list of Mausoleums and monuments i visited during 6 day trip in Agra:
1.Taj Mahal: Most popular tourist destination of Agra, lacs of visitors travel here every day. This Mausoleum was built by Mughal emperor Shah jahan in memory of his wife- Mumtaz Mahal.
Taj Mahal closed day: Friday.
2. Agra fort: It was residence of Mughal emperors until the Mughal capital was shifted from Agra to Delhi in 1638. Also called as Lal Qila, It is about 3 kms from Taj Mahal. It was made by Akbar in its present state, construction was completed in 1573. Agra fort is the place where Mughal emperor Shah jahan was put under house arrest by his son Aurangzeb during 1658 to 1666.
3. Guru Ka Tal Gurudwara: Dedicated to 9th Sikh Guru: Guru Tegh Bahadur ji. This is the place from where the Guru offered voluntary arrest to Aurangzeb. Water of Agra is salty but water of Gurudwara is sweet by the blessings of Guru. Langar in the Gurudwara is served 24 hours.
Distance from Agra cantt: 11 kms.
Distance from Sikandra: 2 kms
4. Sikandra: It is the Mausoleum of Mughal emperor Akbar. Construction of this tomb was completed by Akbar’s son - Jahangir between 1605 and 1613. Sikandra is name of the place, while the tomb is called - Akbar’s tomb.
Distance between Taj Mahal and Sikandra fort: 19 kms.
5. Fatehpur sikri: This city served as capital of Mughal emperor Akbar during the period 1571 to 1585. Some of the important buildings in the city: Buland Darwaza, tomb of salim chishti, Jama masjid, Diwan-i-aam, Diwan-i- khas, Ibadat khana, plus there are many more covered in the video.
Distance from taj Mahal: 45 kms, takes about 2 hours to travel on taxi.
Suggestion: Take a ASI guide along, who is available near ticket counter, you will not get officla guide at Buland Darwaza. There fee is about Rs 450 but it’s worth it.
Caution: You will notice many people there who will try to get some money offering guide services at cheaper cost, you will need to avoid them.
6. Sri Mankameshwar Temple: One of the ancient temples devoted to Lord shiva, Temple is situated at Rawatpara near Agra fort railway station. Lord Shiva wished Darshana of lord Krishna in child form for which he stayed here at this place.
7. Tomb of Itmad-Ud-Daulah: This is the tomb was commissioned by Nur Jahan, wife of Jahangir for her father Mirza Ghiyas Beg .Built during 1622-1628 A.D, sometimes also called as Baby Taj.
Distance from Agra cantt: 9 kms.
Distance from Taj Mahal: 5 kms
8. Kalakriti: Theatre show about making of Taj Mahal, why it was built. Interesting to watch, if you love theatre, good performance by artists.
3 categories of tickets: Rs 1200, Rs 1500, Rs 1800.
Show timings: 7.45 pm to 8 pm, can be heard in multiple languages by use of ear phones, state of the art theatre experience at Agra. In particular i liked the small Taj that was shown towards the end of the program.
9. Ram bagh: Built by first Mughal emperor Babar for the purpose of relaxation.
Distance from Agra cantt: 9 kms
Good garden, well maintained , can be visited to spend good time with nature, lot of greenery around.
There are many other places as well but the ones visited by me attract lot of tourist interest.
You may also watch other videos on Agra, details below:
Agra food part 2, contains best petha of Agra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ody_auYtggA
thanks for your time.