Marilyn Hellman describes the different face shapes - heart, oval, round, square and gives tips on how to choose the type and shape of earrings to wear to flatter each of the common face shapes and jaw lines.
One of the things I really wanted to do for a really, really long time is do a video on earrings.
Now, the first thing you do is find the widest place on your face, so we did a chart and it's not terribly complicated. This is going to help you with the proportions and the length of earrings that you can wear.
When we talk about balance and proportion, it's also important to understand your jawline.There are three types of jawline; there's a square jaw line which a lot of times you see in a square face or there's a rounded jawline and all of this is going to affect the shape and the length of the earring you can wear and also there's a more pointed. So, I want you to consider that when you start to see some of the earrings that we're going to show you on these faces.
In this particular case, the widest area is at the forehead and this is a narrower chin line.The area I look at when I'm looking at where I'm going to put the balance of the earring is right in this area, where I'm looking to put some kind of detail, so the bulk of the weight to my earring I want to do here in this particular face style, not up here. That's not necessarily a bad thing because one of the things I was taught by a jeweler in Italy was, is the closer your jewelry goes to your eyes – the more you emphasize your eyes, the longer your jewelry goes down, the more it's going to emphasize your face. This is a sexier look; this is a more romantic look, so that's something to consider.
Alright, let's start out; let's do some particular jewelry lines. In a situation like this if you can see, I put a necklace on earrings like this one, it's filling the area that I'm talking about, and this is very flattering. In fact, it doesn't really show it here but when this does on a tilt, this is very sexy. I also like earrings that have movement.
This one is filling in and down in this area here which gives us the most attractive look, it's also filling a lot of color to the face, it helps with your skin tones. Your hair color is going to make a little difference. Now, your neck will be affected. If you have a shorter neck, you don't want to get too much under here in this particular type of earring. If you expose your neck, and have your neck line and see a lot of skin in here, you can wear these a little lower because it's going to settle a little bit on your neckline. You wouldn't want to do this if you have a collar because it's going to be in the way all the time.
There is a trend more to clip these days. Some of these bigger earrings are a little weightier, so you need to do a clip and also, a pierced earring can never be positioned exactly on the ear, it's only going to be wherever your hole is. The clip on this allows you to put it in detail to your face. There are earrings that have right and left, and the ideal way is to have your flowing always into your face.
So, this is a lot of tips on how you want to wear it for this particular style and this is an easy one to show.
- Okay, the widest part in a round shape is across the cheek line and this shape is a little more demanding. If you have what is considered a shorter or a longer neckline, your hair becomes extremely important.
- Another area here that's always good is if you're going to wear round earrings or that it's always lucky if you have short haircuts and you can bring the weight where they're going to widen you out, up here which will help you a lot to wear more types of earrings too.
- If you really want a drop and if you have a long neck and a round face, I definitely would be wearing the longest earring you can possibly get because it's really going to help you. Look at the difference between this and if you drop this earring down here, again I'm going to emphasize clip, where you can position the earring exactly where you want to.
- This can be a very, very pretty – and I just might point it out to you, this is definitely a very romantic
- For square faces, the widest part of you is at the bottom or around your chin line and usually this is accompanied by more of a rounded or squared chin line.
- What we want to do here is opposite of what we've done with the other two faces, we want to bring the weight away from the widest part of your face and bring it up here more towards your eyes and closer to the ear.
- We were using the weight to drop down in this area and as you can see with this particular type of jawline, it's really important to understand that you want to keep the weight away from the widest part of your face and it really shows here.
These are just some of the ideas. If you have any questions, or you're interested in looking at more jewelry give us a call at 239–206-4460.